about PLATFORM 11+
PLATFORM 11+ wants to present a many-layered (self-) portrait of a young European generation, whose presence at the beginning of the 21st century is reflected in numerous works of art.
As a network of 13 equally-participating theatres from 12 countries, in connection with local cultural organizations, universities and schools, its goal is to initiate multidisciplinary cultural efforts (literature, performing and visual arts, new media, cultural education) for and among youth aged 11-15.
There are few cultural offerings for adolescents at this age, even though during this life phase an engagement with art can be consequential for the formation of values, personality, and worldview. PLATFORM 11+ strives to fill this gap and create maximal synergies between the partners, with
- authorship of 30 new theatre plays
- co-productions of 56 new theatre works and culture events
- creation of over 40 works of visual art
- exchange of work experience and methods by means of an intercultural dialogue (including artist mobility in over 100 main activities in 11 countries)
- Europe-wide proliferation of the artistic products (tours, play fairs, exhibitions, internet database, Digital-Art-Gallery etc)
- professional guidance and support for youth to become personally active artistically
In order to meet the need of the target group members to see their experiences of life portrayed in art, the partners have developed the overall theme: Artistic Discoveries in European Schoolyards. The schoolyard is the ideal location for inspiration and inquiry (the basis of all activity), because it
- reflects conflicts in the greater society, as a multicultural and social microcosm
- is a location for contemporary and historical experiences (has relevance to cultural heritage)
- as the centre of life experiences for the target group, it can determine identity and is suited to directly motivate the target group to take up artistic processes.
By enabling a meaningful experience of the variety inherent in national cultures, PLATFORM 11+ makes a decisive contribution to the development of European competencies and a feeling of European identity among artists and young people.
The leading organisation of that artistic network is Brageteatret in Drammen/Norway, which collaborates with the initiator of the project, Dirk Neldner/Germany.
In cooperation with ATINA Argentina, PLATFORM 11+ will also continue in several countries of South America.
On April 2nd 2009 the EU-Commission announced the jury’s decision concerning the grants programme „Culture 2007”: Chosen from a large number of applications PLATFORM 11+ will be financed over the next four years, starting on May 1st 2009.